Friday, November 17, 2006

Fettuccine with prawns and fresh herbs

I love fish, but I'm not a huge fan of the other types of seafood. I'm allergic to some of them, so I stick to something more common: shrimp. I must admit that I don't know what the fuss is all about...

I love choosing new recipes to try but my husband is a picky eater and it gets in the way (he doesn't read the blog - lucky me!).
I always feel like preparing and tasting everything but have to slow it down a little because he's a little conservative with food.

Sometimes, when I'm going through a cookbook, he sees a photo and says "would you make this one?" - I really like that! It spares me a lot of work. :D
That's what happened with the pork loin I made the other day - sorry, the recipe is in Portuguese - and this pasta, which was taken from this wonderful book.

I was a bit disappointed with the shrimp - they looked so big at the supermarket and almost disappeared in the pot! :\ The dish tasted good though.
I added lemon zest even though the recipe didn't call for that.

We had friends over for dinner that night, so I took the photo on the following day with the remaining pasta. And the forked shrimp was the sole survivor. :D

Fettuccine with prawns and fresh herbs

400g fettuccine
100ml olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped - I omitted
16 raw king prawns, peeled and deveined
250g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 handful flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
12 basil leaves, torn
30g chives - I omitted
juice of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lemon - optional

Cook the fettuccine in a large pot with boiling salted water until al dente.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the garlic, stir briefly, then add the prawns. Cook until they're pink.
Add the tomatoes and cook for 1 further minute - I cooked for a little longer since I wanted it to be juicier.
Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add prawns and tomatoes, the herbs and lemon.
Toss it together and season with salt.

Serves 4.

2 comments:

Valentina said...

Pat, great choice. I love prawns.Would try it any time. ; o )

Patricia Scarpin said...

Val, if you ever make let me know your opinion. I thought it was delicious and quick to prepare.

Related Posts with Thumbnails